Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Perfume Review: Parfumerie Generale Yuzu Ab Irato

Yuzu Ab Irato is the newest addition to Parfumerie Generale’s collection of attractive, versatile, interesting fragrances created by (very handsome) Pierre Guillaume. Like the other seven scents, Yuzu Ab Irato feels both contemporary and classic, wearable and out of the ordinary. With notes of yuzu, spearmint, pepper, magnolia, jasmine, hyacinth, thyme, hyssop, myrtle and bamboo, this is a bracing, deliciously sour, green fragrance that is absolutely delightful on a hot day. If I could afford to fill a pool with Yuzu Ab Irato … ah, my skin tingles when I imagine how wonderful it would be to dive in and to luxuriate in this refreshing, cooling, dry, not even a tiny bit sweet brew.

The scent starts with the tangy, tart yuzu note; the note has the kind of bright, delectable sourness that makes one’s mouth fill with saliva and one’s nose die a tiny little pleasurable death. From the appetizingly bitter greenness of yuzu, the perfume moves on to the chilly verdancy of mint spiced with a little pepper before developing into an herbal-green blend of thyme and hyssop. Citrus-green, minty-green and herbaceous-green, Yuzu Ab Irato is a delight for a fan of green scents. I realize that I used in this review some words (“bitter”, “sour”) that might make the scent sound harsher and more pungent than it really is. It is a gloriously green and fresh perfume but it is also quite soft. Perfumerie Generale calls Yuzu Ab Irato “a delicate show of force”, and that is a perfect description for this fragrance that is subtle rather than intense but that is still full of zest and character.

Yuzu Ab Irato is available at Perfumerie Generale online store, €58.00 for 50ml. It is also availabe at The Perfume Shoppe in Canada, they do ship to the US.

*The image is from Parfumerie-Generale.com.

Labels:

22 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
I think you will like it! Do you like any of their other scents?

10:39 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colombina,
Thank you so much for this review! Now I really need to place an order for some Yuzu Ab Irato =) Have you taken a look at the PG website lately? I just noticed that there's a "Chapter II" collection with 7 more frags?? PG10-16 (Aomassaï, Harmatan Noir, Hyperessence Matale, Brûlure de Rose, Iris Taïzo, Ilang Ivohibe, Jardins de Kérylos) Know anything about this?

12:28 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

I don't know--I think that Yuzu perhaps is just not my thing. Yuzu Rouge, which everyone seems to love, is just "meh" on me (this was the opinion of a whole bunch of sniffers at Aedes, not just mine alone). So I think I will stick to my other summer options.

But PG is very cute; he is right up there with Mona di Orio in the calling-attention-to-the-looks-of your-perfumer sweepstakes (less commentary, but more skin:)

8:35 AM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

Wow, that sounds just delicious. Can you compare it to anything I might recognize? Is it sort of cologne-ish, or heavier?

11:38 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Monica,
Oh wow, I was looking at the site yesterday and did not see Chapter II. I must try these new scents, thank you so much for pointing them out!

12:05 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
I am so over Yuzu Rouge. It is too sweet and rose-y on me. This one is a whole different story though. No rose, no sugar, just green freshness

12:06 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
I think you will like this too!

12:07 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
I would highly recommend sampling these scents, all of them, really. I imagine you will like quite a few there, seriously!

12:08 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
Don't know what to compare it too...It is cologne-ish, but in the most positive sense...sometimes cologne-ish is used as a synonym for "smells like a man's aftershave", you know? And Yuzu is not like that at all.

12:09 PM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

It is funny, M, on paper this sounds like something I would like better than you would, but on skin it didn't really do anything for me. Much blander than I expected from the notes.

2:39 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
You are an enigma. I can never predict correctly what you would like. I thought that for sure you'd love this one LOL

3:49 PM EDT  
Blogger Sexy Sadie said...

That man looked gorgous!

4:18 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Sadie,
Yep, he is a dish! :-)

5:10 PM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

LOL -- I can never predict what I'll like either. That is why I am hopeless at buying unsniffed.

I do love the Cologne Grand Siecle though.

5:19 PM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

M, I didn't ask my question well: I was wondering, is it sorta summer splashy, put on by the bucket, like Yuzu Rouge? Or more a legit perfume smell? I feel like I understand the smell, trying to figure out the *weight.*

5:37 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
I love that one too. Apart from Something or Other Circe, I really liked all of them. And did you see they have a new collection there alrrady? Arrgh!

6:36 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
I see! Sorry I didn't understand it the first time. Yes, cologne-ish then. To be applied generously (lasts well though).

6:37 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

V,
Hmm...Oh well! Did you see that they have a new collection already? Some things, like an iris scent, sound so appealing.

10:15 PM EDT  
Blogger Trina said...

Oh, yum! You *do* know how to farm lemmings!

12:41 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Trina,
LOL, you are too kind! Farmer of Lemmings, ha!

9:42 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm new, great reviews. Why am I suddenly seeing PG everywhere? Only noticed it at the Perfume Shoppe online several days ago, and then your post and on Bois de Jasmin. Then I realized I'd read Robin's a while ago on NST. Coze (and Aomassaï) sound like I'll have to sample...

3:05 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tigs,
Hi and welcome!
I would definitely recommend Coze, it is perhaps my favorite of the whole PG line.

9:12 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home